Wednesday 1 February 2012

Interesting

I love quizzes.  Imagine, therefore, my delight at finding that I could download a podcast of the ones that appear weekly on Radio 4.  If I’ve heard the live broadcast, I listen again and try to remember the answers that I got wrong the first time round.  If I haven’t, then I listen to the podcast twice, some days apart.

This new application has led me to a sort of analysis, not unlike that famous Donald Rumsfeld quote about known unknowns.  I find myself questioning how many correct answers I really know, how many I guess and get right, how many I only get right now because I heard the answer the first time around, and how many I still get wrong because I can’t remember the right answer that I heard before. 
The Bible has many references to questions; those in Luke’s Gospel provide a good selection.  Jesus is found by his parents asking questions in the temple (2:46).  After He had accused the Pharisees, as experts in religious law, of taking away the key to knowledge, they questioned Jesus in order to find a way to trap him (11:52-54).  Later (20:1-8), we find a head-on exchange of questions that reveals just how ill-founded is the Pharisees’ opposition to Jesus.  The disciples question one another about who might betray Him (22:23), and later Herod questioned Him to learn why it was that the crowd were shouting for his death (23:9).

In each of these examples, we find that questions are a means of learning – mostly learning about Jesus.   I’m learning, too, by listening to those quiz questions and absorbing some of the correct answers.  I notice, though, that what I learn depends upon my interest in the subject in the first place.  If the question is about modern music, or the celebrity culture, for example, I’m just as likely to offer the same wrong answer – or no answer at all - the second time around. 
This month sees the start of Lent, when traditionally, we try to draw closer to God, in our thinking and our habits.  Perhaps it’s a good time to suggest a prayer that the Holy Spirit might sharpen our interest in the things of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment