Monday 9 December 2013

The Dream Remedy

Along with much rubbish, it must be said, I find a lot of wisdom comes to me in dreams.  Now I've winnowed the wheat from the chaff, I feel this one is worthy of a wider audience.  The background was an upcoming school parents' meeting.  One of the teachers had handed me a draft of the speech he was preparing for this occasion, and invited my comments.  I told him, "It's too academic.  It's written by an academic, for other academics.  What parents need is reality.  Tell them how it relates to them, what it means to them, how it has changed your own life."

I've no idea what the subject was, and for this purpose it doesn't matter.  The kernel of wisdom that came from my dream was what followed - the need for a speech on any topic to be related to the real-life situation of its hearers.  It's a lesson that many politicians could profit by learning.  And while you might agree with that - or not - it's a lesson from which we could all benefit in our conversations.

Relating to real life is how Jesus spoke, too.  I'm going to finish this brief note by setting my readers some 'holiday homework' (sorry to pursue the school theme!)  With the festive season approaching, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you might at some point feel overcome with all that's going on around you, and need a little relief.

Let me suggest that you find a quiet corner, behind a curtain, or with an overcoat in the garden shed.  Take a Bible with you, and read through any of the four Gospels, from start to finish, like a novel.  Let the Evangelist's narrative flow over you, and soak up the story of Jesus' earthly life and ministry.  For a short while let Him take over your mind and enter your innermost being.  Emerge refreshed, and ready to re-join the party.

And if your friends should notice your refreshment, let your conversation relate to their real-life situation.  Tell them your secret - they might enjoy the remedy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment